Monday, December 3, 2007

but I haven't told you

I got a package today!

I had just found out that I left my lines for my oral presentation (that I had translated this morning into Arabic) in my Arabic recitation. And I was about to have to re-translate it all and then memorize it for tomorrow. I checked my e-mail just in case a classmate had picked it up and I had that beautiful e-mail from housing in my inbox.

I never get packages. But today I did. It was from my aunt. She isn't even my blood aunt, she's my mum's brother's wife. But she sent me a package. It is full of food that is bad for me, but that I love. Needless to say, my misery level went down about half a point.

But I haven't told you about the misery level index, have I?

I created this index the summer before we moved to Ireland, when I was spending six weeks out west camping with my family. The index helped me keep my misery in perspective and know when it was appropriate to get upset.

Here's how it works:

There are five points for physical discomfort and five points for emotional/mental discomfort. Ten points in total. But if you did ever reach ten points you would almost certainly be dead.

If you were lying in a ditch, limbs torn off, fleas crawling all over you, with the worst period cramps in the world and nothing bad was happening to you emotionally, you'd only reach five.

Likewise if you have 50 exams in the next week, you just found out your mom has been doing the duke blue devil mascot, and your boyfriend told you to lose weight, etc you could still only make it to five on the misery level index without having physical pain.

Usually, big problems count for about a point. Example: I have three exams and a paper due tomorrow. I'm puking.

Smaller problems are half a point. Example, I have twelve mosquito bites on my leg. I just realized that with my schedule I can't study abroad next semester.

Certain things become appropriate at different times. For example, once you reach a misery level of 4 it is appropriate to give a little yell. I did this multiple times throughout the summer, cramped in the minivan. Luckily my family knows the misery index now so that when I give my little yell they know I have reached 4.

I don't know if I have ever reached 6. If I did I was probably crying.

It is more common for me to compute it and get 2.5 or 3. Don't underestimate the misery of a 2.5 or 3, but ususally when I realize I am well under 4 and I could be as bad as 10 I calm down and get some perspective.

Try it. Compute your level now and put it in a comment.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

Physical level: 0
Emotional level: .5-1.0

Not bad.
Hey....
I feel really good.

RACHELMCLEODKAMINER said...

physical: .5 (i'm really, really cold. uncomfortably so. miserably so.)
+
non-physical: 2
=
2.5

That feels about right.

Laura Mac said...

Physical: about .2 (new, unbroken-in jeans do not mix well with post-baking night bloat.) But I'll round down, so 0.

Emotional: 2.5 (five term papers in the next two and a half weeks). But wait--my art history prof just canceled our exam, so that makes it more like a 2.

Wow, what a difference perspective makes.

Is there a correlating euphoria level index?

Anonymous said...

eh...0.25? i probably feel better than brittany.

i would second the need for a euphoria index, because this coffee's amazing, and i'm wearing really comfortable socks.

Eliz said...

i'm not very good at quantifying emotions.

how about a 3.